Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Stay where I can See You

Over the past few years, video chatting on computers has seen a rapid increase in popularity. How can we possibly resist the opportunity see and talk to friends and family without having to use a phone or be in the same place?

I have a Macbook and the ability to video chat on it is one of my favorite characteristics about it. Keeping in touch with friends and family is so much easier and fun with ichat. Although, I also tend to spend hours at a time on ichat, which probably isn't the best way to be spending time. Shouldn't I be spending more time with people that are physically nearby? Is there a difference in the quality of interaction if one form is done through a computer screen and the other is in person?

Another popular trend is Chatroulette. A site that allows users to video chat with complete strangers. I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts are regarding this concept. Personally, I haven't used the website, but I know several people that have and it is mostly people fooling around rather than looking for a real conversation.

Here's a video posted on Youtube with an interesting usage of the site Chatroulette. Be forewarned there is mild swearing.

--
Jenny Preece , Diane Maloney-Krichmar, Online communities: focusing on sociability and usability, The human-computer interaction handbook: fundamentals, evolving technologies and emerging applications, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., Mahwah, NJ, 2002

4 comments:

  1. Chat Roulette is toooo much! I go on it when I'm with my friends before we go out, but it's annoying to see guys jerking off. I did chat with Jessica Alba once though. That was cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica Alba was on chatroulette?! Thats really neat. I did hear that the site mainly has a lot of people just jerking off and asking for flashers. I've personally never tried it but I've been very curious, I just don't want to try it by myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I def. don't suggest going on alone haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha definitely won't! That'd be a little too creepy for my taste.

    ReplyDelete