Sunday, June 20, 2010

Electrical Attachments


It is interesting to consider the dependency that people have acquired on their cell phones, myself included. During my most recent phone shopping experience I recall having been very frustrated at the selection of phones my carrier had available. I simply wanted a phone that would be able to have a basic media package that would allow me to occasionally check my Facebook (Facebook being an issue to be discussed in a later blog post). Instead of a simple phone, the only phones that seemed worth looking at were smartphones and pda's, all which came with more features than I was interested in.

Whatever happened to the days when cell phones were about convenience and functional size? To this date, I still think the Motorola Razr is the best phone that was ever created. The sturdy design allowed for multiple falls without major damage. The smartphones being created today may have more features, but the iphone glass shatters with falls and my plastic Blackberry is so scratched and damaged it looks like I threw it in a blender - something I would love to do upon replacing it, considering it has been one of the worst phones I have ever owned.

My point in this random rant is that upon finally deciding on a smartphone, I have acquired a new dependency on my phone, and its a little frightening. Just a few years back, if I was feeling friendly, I might strike up a conversation with someone sitting next to me in a waiting room. Now, whenever I find myself having to wait somewhere, I instantly whip out the rattled Blackberry. I'll check for missed text messages and phone calls, go through both of my e-mail accounts, check Facebook already knowing that there won't be any new updates since I last checked, and when I run out of things to look at, I'll think of more. The worst part being I never notice the people around me, never even think about talking to them, and if they talk to me, I'll usually get a little annoyed because I'm trying to do something on my phone.

New technology is designed to keep us connected, but at what point does it start to interfere with our connection to reality?

--
Downes, Edward J, and Kumiko Aoki. "An Analysis of Young People's Use of and Attitudes Toward Cell Phones." Telematics and Informatics. 20.4 (2003): 349. Print.

7 comments:

  1. Good point. Technology and especially cell phones are mainly created to increase access and communication but they are changing our traditional ways of thinking, work and play. Like you mentioned, they facilitate a great access of information but they can also change the way that we think about privacy, social relations and practices. Here are more examples of how cell phones are changing society.

    http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2009/05/the-evolution-of-cell-phone-design-between-1983-2009/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting site! Its incredible how much cellphones have evolved in 3 decades. And I agree, cellphones have had such an incredible impact on our social relations and practices, particularly in the last decade when texting and internet have become somewhat of the norm for cellphone use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I meant to post the following link as it mentions some examples of how cell phones are changing society:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jan/01/mobile-phones-changed-society

    I was browsing the other site posted earlier and found it also interesting to see how cell phones have changed through the years. In fact, I remember when that big Motorola DynaTac 8000X came on the market...A dinosaur for these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very insightful discussion. Just 2 weeks ago I was air traveling and struck up a conversation with a woman sitting next to me. We ended up talking the entire 2 hour flight and I can say that it was not only very enjoyable, but made the time pass very quickly.

    In all honesty, that is the first conversation I remember striking up with someone on an airplane in at least 5 years as during these times my time was usually spent on some sort of personalized electronic device, playing games, listening to music or working. Like Tania, for the 15 years up to that point, whenever traveling I ended up meeing some very interesting, and at times very annoying, people. But always left the plane, or train or where ever, with some very interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very true Tim! It isn't often that you are able to leave your own circle of nearby friends and family long enough to meet new people. Traveling provides so many opportunities to meet new and interesting people and expand your horizons. It would be a pity to miss out on such opportunities by being consumed with a phone, computer or music device.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tania, I totally agree with you. It's almost weird and an annoyance to strike up a conversation with the person next to you. It has become the norm to stay focused to your cellular device and nothing more. On campus, when it's elections season, this is when you see it the most. So many people are so occupied with that text message or that missed phone call rather than being informed on SGA elections. I know people who have told me that they purposely make a phone call when they see people coming their way.

    Getting the latest phone is another thing. I'm a loyal Sprint customer and I currently have a BlackBerry and I am counting down the days until I get my HTC EVO! Though my BB is in great condition, I MUST have the EVO. I have truly become dependent on my little BB and I can't see myself living without it!

    Great Post!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you're talking about, I'm one of those people that pulls their phone out when I see someone approaching me on campus! Such a bad habit.

    ReplyDelete